PDA

Pogledaj Full Version : Comments by Rhys J, Davies to British Government

Željko Zidarić
4th-June-2012, 01:12 AM
Report - Croats under Yugo-Slavian Rule 1932 (http://domovod.info/zzfiles/CroatsUnderYugoSlavianRule.pdf)

HC Deb 26 October 1932 vol 269 c996W 996W
YUGOSLAVIA. (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1932/oct/26/yugoslavia)

Mr. RHYS DAVIES asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether he can give any information as to what reports have been made to the League of Nations as to risings against the Yugoslav Government among the people of Croatia, and the reasons for these risings?

Mr. EDEN I have no information as to any reports having been addressed to the League of Nations regarding risings on the part of the Croats against the Yugoslav Government.

HC Deb 30 November 1932 vol 272 cc795-6 795
YUGOSLAVIA. (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1932/nov/30/yugoslavia)

Mr. MANDER asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs if he will make a statement as to the position in Yugoslavia at the present time?

The SECRETARY of STATE for FOREIGN AFFAIRS (Sir John Simon) No, Sir. I am afraid I could not undertake to do so.

Mr. MANDER Can my right hon. Friend say what petitions from the Croatian minority have recently been received by the League of Nations?

Sir J. SIMON What the hon. Gentleman asked me was to make a statement on Yugoslavia.

Mr. RHYS DAVIES Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that the British Government was one of the parties to the treaty that brought that new State into being at the end of the War, and that 796 the provisions of that treaty are being violated by the Serbians in that country, and is there a possibility at all of the British Government taking some steps to see that the provisions of the treaty are implemented?

Sir J. SIMON The general political situation in a foreign country can hardly be described within the limits of a Parliamentary answer. I am myself fully aware of the importance and the difficulty of these matters, to which I have given a good deal of study, but I think the House will allow me to say that there are a good many other foreign problems with which I have to deal at the present time.

HC Deb 15 February 1933 vol 274 cc978-9 978
YUGOSLAVIA. (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1933/feb/15/yugoslavia)

Mr. RHYS DAVIES asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether he can give any information as 979 to the present political and economic situation in Yugoslavia?

Sir J. SIMON No, Sir.

Mr. DAVIES Is the right hon. Gentleman aware that the Yugoslavian Govt. have now arrested the leaders of the Croats, Slovenes, and Mussulmans, and that these arrests are in violation of the provisions of the treaty which set up the Yugoslavian State, and in view of the fact that the British Government was a party to that treaty, will he inquire into those arrests?

Sir J. SIMON The question I was asked was the perfectly general question whether I could give any information. I think I must reply by saying "No," and we must remember, after all, "that if we take an undesirable method of interfering with the domestic affairs of a friendly country, that will redound to the injury of the interests of His Majesty's Government, which is deeply concerned with the maintenance of peace and stability in the countries of Central and South-Eastern Europe.

Mr. DAVIES When the British Government is a party to a treaty that provides rights and privileges for these nations within Yugoslavia, have we no concern at all when the provisions of that treaty are broken?

Sir J. SIMON We have every concern when the provisions of any treaty are broken, but I do not think that that can be dealt with by supplementary questions and answers.

HC Deb 08 May 1934 vol 289 cc924-5 924
YUGOSLAVIA (CROATS AND SLOVENES). (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1934/may/08/yugoslavia-croats-and-slovenes)

Mr. RHYS DAVIES asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether he has any reports from His Majesty's Minister at Belgrade as to how far the present constitution in Yugoslavia protects the rights of the Croats and Slovenes as equal parties in the State; and whether he will urge His Majesty's Minister to call the attention of the Government of Yugoslavia to any infringement of the promise contained in the preamble of the Treaty of St. Germainen-Laye that the peoples of that State, of whatever race, language, or religion, shall have full guarantees of liberty and justice?

Mr. EDEN The Yugoslav Constitution provides that the Croats and Slovenes form with the Serbs a single nationality and that all citizens of Yugoslavia are equal before the law. I do not feel called upon to take any action in the sense suggested by the hon. Member.

Mr. DAVIES In view of the fact that the Croats and Slovenes are not treated equally with the Serbs under the law of Jugoslavia, and that, His Majesty's Government at that time were one of the parties interested in giving a constitution to Yugoslavia, is it not possible for His Majesty's Government to intervene to see that the Croats and Slovenes get fair play?

Mr. EDEN No, Sir. I do not think so. We have had no recent allegation in regard to any minority treatment by the Yugoslavia Government.

Mr. DAVIES Is not the hon. Gentleman fully aware that the Croats and Slovenes are not minorities; that they are racially within the State, and that they cannot proceed under the minority rules of the League of Nations?

Mr. EDEN I think that my answer covers the hon. Member's point.

HC Deb 16 May 1934 vol 289 c1742 1742
YUGOSLAVIA (BULGARIAN MINORITY). (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1934/may/16/yugoslavia-bulgarian-minority)

Mr. RHYS DAVIES asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether he can give any information on the petition presented to the League of Nations by M. Ivan Petroff, of Skoplye, on the moral and physical oppression of the Bulgarian minority in Yugoslavia; whether this petition has been pronounced as receivable; and whether it will be brought before the League of Nations Council?

Mr. BALDWIN This petition has not yet reached my right hon. Friend, nor has he received any information regarding it.

HC Deb 06 November 1934 vol 293 c847W 847W
YUGOSLAVIA. (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1934/nov/06/yugoslavia)

Mr. RHYS DAVIES asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether, in view of the fact that His Majesty's Government was one of the Powers responsible for the establishment of the triple State of the Serbs-Croats-Slovenes, he will consider making representations through the League of Nations to the Belgrade Government requesting that the provisions of the treaty establishing that State be implemented and the policy of forcibly unifying the several nationalities within that State be abandoned?

Mr. EDEN I have nothing to add to the answer given on 8th May to a question put to me by the hon. Member on the same subject.

HC Deb 18 February 1935 vol 298 c3 3
YUGOSLAVIA (EX-HUNGARIAN CITIZENS). (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1935/feb/18/yugoslavia-ex-hungarian-citizens)

Mr. RHYS DAVIES asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether, in order to prevent a further increase in the number of stateless persons in Europe, any representations have been made to the Government of Yugoslavia deprecating the expulsion of former Hungarian citizens till recently living in parts of Yugoslavia which used to form part of Hungary, who had renounced their Hungarian citizenship in order to qualify themselves for Yugoslav naturalisation but have not yet received it, and who have now been expelled to Hungary by the. Yugoslav Government?

The SECRETARY of STATE for FOREIGN AFFAIRS (Sir John Simon) The concern of His Majesty's Government regarding the recent expulsions from Yugoslavia and the action which has been taken by them in this connection have been explained on several recent occasions in reply to previous questions in this House. It does not appear to be the case that these events have increased the number of stateless persons. The legal situation as regards the nationality of the expelled persons is somewhat complex, but the national status of these persons is dependent on the relevant Articles of the Treaty of Peace, and not on the recent actions of the Yugoslav authorities.

HC Deb 29 April 1935 vol 301 cc4-5 4
YUGOSLAVIA (CROAT POPULATION). (http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1935/apr/29/yugoslavia-croat-population)

Mr. RHYS DAVIES asked the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs whether the memorandum addressed to the Council of the League of Nations by M. Krnyevitch, Deputy in the Yugoslav Parliament, and secretary-general of the Croatian peasants' party, in January, 1935, has received attention; and whether, in view of the provisions of the Treaty of St. Germain, guaranteeing that each of the three constituent populations in the State shall be governed in accordance with the principles of liberty and justice, he will request His Majesty's Minister in Belgrade to furnish him with his comments on the allegations made therein of discriminatory action against the Croat population?

The SECRETARY of STATE for FOREIGN AFFAIRS (Sir John Simon) Although I have no reason to doubt that the Secretary-General of the League is dealing with this petition in accordance with the regulations governing procedure for dealing with minorities' petitions, it has not yet reached the stage of being 5 communicated to His Majesty's Government by the League Secretariat. The question has therefore not arisen of asking His Majesty's Minister at Belgrade for a special report on the allegations contained in the petition.

42d3e78f26a4b20d412==